Day 106 : Monday


02/29/2016
steps 5862
weight 195

Leap Year! 1 whole extra day added to your life. What did you do with the extra time?

I spent the day hooking up wires, and straightening up for the dinner guests. I moved a lot of junk to the basement and garage, and after making a frog cookie-cutter for Gina, I was on quality control for the cookies. I got eat all the broken 1s.

Evening was great right up until our guests were leaving, then, as they stepped out the door, Virginia missed her footing, went down hard on the pavement with a THUD. It was not a fun way to end the evening, and got me thinking again about aging.

Gina did the exact same thing a couple months ago. We were heading out for a walk, and as I started across the driveway, I heard a big thud behind me. Turning around, I found Gina on that pavement, rubbing her knee, and the walk for that day was canceled. In both cases there was no warning, no yelp, or “oh shit”, and no stumbling around. Just THUD.

Now I'm starting to think about age proofing the house. Things we had no problem with 20 years ago, are now getting dangerous. We don't have the reflexes or flexibility to deal with even slight obstacles anymore, and of course, we don't bounce or role as we did years ago.
Now it's just a big THUD as you hit the ground before you even realize it's happened.

If you ever hear some old fart bragging about the “golden years”, remember that they are trying desperately to enjoy the rapidly shrinking list of things they can do, as they watch the end of the road coming up fast.
After 60 it really is “1 day at a time”.

Remember!
1 bite at a time, and 1 day at a time!
KRASH


2 comments:

  1. How's the diet going? You keeping up the walking and stuff? See 'ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about Gina, getting old is not easy! We are not designed to last.

    ReplyDelete