Day 22 : Barefootin

12/07/2015
Steps 8408
Water 5

Au Naturale.
As a teenager in suburban 60's America, I was an oddball, and going barefoot wherever possible
just added to an unconventional reputation I've enjoyed through the decades.
Except for black suede “Beatle Boots in the late sixties, I've never been very fond of footwear.

In the late 70's, I even entered races barefoot, usually just to watch jaws drop. But it did give me my first 15 minutes of fame, and I never failed to mention Abebe Bikila, who was the first person in history to win 2 consecutive Olympic marathons, running barefoot.
That's your's truly Sep. 1979. Notice the difference in how the front landing feet are positioned. 
Why Barefoot
This may stem, at least in part, from an attempt by my parents to correct my “pigeon toed” stance as a child, with very expensive, restrictive shoes and inserts. It failed miserably, giving me the appearance of your typical dork in school. But being Pigeon Toed, enhanced an already superb sense of balance that would allow me to work easily at heights that most people feared to climb. Even with shoes, I could run along walls and beams like a squirrel.

I was also born with exceptional blood flow in my feet. This gave me the ability to go barefoot in snow, walk on fire, and glaciers, and other attention getting stunts. But wearing shoes and socks was like tossing a blanket over and electric heater. Even now I seldom wear socks and wear cheap canvas dock shoes even in winter.

Going barefoot also enhanced my sensory input, which allowed me to enjoy a world, most people never felt. Like watching the sunrise, as everyone else slept.
And after going barefoot for any length of time, any shoes feel like lead weights.

Social Turn Around
As a teenager I was often laughed at, except the time I won a 100 yard dash against a car!
As an adult, I often had to deal with health and safety inspectors, anti barefoot laws and a general fear of nature that continues to grow exponentially as each generation builds on the fears of its parents. ( But that's another post.)
But with many things in my life, it has been another I told you so” moment in recent years, as one study after another points out that shoes really are not that great for your feet.


And after nearly 40 years of being ahead of the pack, trends are changing and people are now starting to take their shoes off to walk, run and exercise. 
There are even products like Xero Shoes that give people the foot protection they want while still allowing them to go, for the most part, barefoot.
So it's not too late folks, the grass is out there.
Like to sign says
No shirt, No shoes, Enter

KRASH
PlaceMarkBooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment