Day 32 : Coffee

12/17/2015
steps 8491
water 5
weight 195

Anyone out there NOT addicted to coffee?
I know only 1 person who has never had the stuff, and he will remain nameless for his own protection.
Most boys start to like coffee in puberty, although I may have started earlier, as I was hanging out in diners by 4th grade.

Fortunately how I drink my coffee has changed for the better over the years. As a teenager I added 5 teaspoons of sugar to each cup, and those were heaping teaspoon. I imagine it was more like shoveling the stuff way back then.
Yep, that's 5 teaspoons of sugar, over 10 of those little packets you get in restaurants.

By the mid-seventies, and my mid-twenties, I had gotten it down to 1 teaspoon. By the 80s I was down to no sugar in my coffee, but I've never been able to do without cream.

Now as the weather gets colder, like many folks, I'm drinking coffee most of the day, out of habit, and a need to feel cozy.
But like many folks, I'm also dealing with ongoing joint pain and excess weight.

Over the years I've heard that coffee is a contributing factor to joint pain, and you can research that if you want. I find it easier to just experiment.
I do know from experience that it contributes to my food intake, something you may also have noticed.
First you start with a cup of coffee, then it seems to upset your stomach, so you eat something to compensate. After you eat, you have the urge for another cup of coffee. Add to that the urge to drink something hot, in cold weather, and social drinking, like at the local coffee shop, and you have weight gain and joint pain.

So today I'm going to try for 1 cup a day.
Oh Yah, I'm going to see if I can get used to just 1 cup of coffee in the morning and warm water or broth after that during the day.
Don't substitute sugar bombs like hot chocolate either, and keep an eye on the salt intake with broth. Here's a place I found on the net for low salt stuff.
http://healthyheartmarket.com/

As for tea, well, as long as it works. I've never liked it myself and the one time I did drink a lot of it, I got a kidney stone.
So here we go.

1 cup of coffee today, and don't supersize it.


KRASH
PlaceMarkBooks.com

1 comment:

  1. I never use sugar or milk in coffee, I drink multiple cups daily, love it. I could find you studies to substantiate how bad or good it is for you, depending upon what viewpoint you're trying to push. The truth is probably somewhere in then middle.

    ReplyDelete