Day 26 : What do you like to Eat

12/11/2015
steps 11748
water 5
weight 197

Think about it, not just what you like to eat, but why.
What is it about that food that makes you want to eat it?
Is it the taste, temperature, texture?
Does it crunch? Is it soft, hard, etc?
Although taste and smell are the dominating motivators, people like or don't like food for many reasons.

I've never cared for fresh fruits and vegetables because they always seem cold to me and except for summer and ice cream, I've never had a fondness for cold food.
I drink hot liquids like coffee, lukewarm, and I like water, soda, and the like at room temperature.

I like crunchy things like chips and pretzels, but only bite-size. I like to just pop them in my mouth. While driving long distances I often munch on pretzel nubs, as it gives my brain unconscious work to do and keeps me awake.

I don't like a lot of the spices like mustard, curry or ginger. I like jalapenos, not for their temperature, but for a subtle sweetness they have.

For most average Americans nowadays, taste comes in 2 main groups, salt and sugar.
If you walk through the supermarket, you'll find there are not too many processed foods that don't rely on one or both of these flavors.
But If you pay attention you may notice some more subtle attractions.

For example, several years ago I developed a mild craving for green peppers, eating them like you might eat an Apple. Now and then a food you normally don't care for, for some odd reason, tastes good. I believe it's simply that your system is looking for a specific chemical that happens to be in that food.

Beyond cravings, addictions and the a simple need to sustain your body, you also have to deal with habits plus social and emotional reasons for eating. All of these often involve specific foods.
You wouldn't spaghetti at a barbecue and Thanksgiving is the biggest time of year for Turkey.

People every day get together for coffee, breakfast, lunch or dinner at restaurants, diners and coffeehouses as a social thing.
Even getting together with the guys at the local pub after work, though social, also includes the intake of many unneeded calories, usually in a form of beer and pretzels.

They all entail taking in specific foods, many of which are not on a healthy diet checklist.
Beer n pretzels, coffee n doughnuts, lox and bagels.
What are lox anyway?
When you think about it, diet wise, they make green eggs and ham looked pretty good.

Point is that if you plan on cutting foods out of your diet, you will need to look at ALL the reasons why they are there!

We'll be coming back to this one a lot in the coming months.

KRASH
PlaceMarkBooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment