Day 55 : Haunted by 1

01/09/2016
steps 2985
water 6
weight 197

When you start a diet blog, you have to watch who you eat with!

This morning I got together for breakfast with some old friends, several of whom have been following my Diet 1 blog.

When the waitress asked for my order, I started with,
2 eggs over easy”.

1 egg”, Tim chimed in before I could finish.

And a couple sausage links” I started to add.

1 sausage” he said, laughing a bit louder.

After all the laughter died down, I said “no thanks” to home fries and toast, and then had to repeat “no” several more times as a waitress, in an effort to make sure I didn't starve to death, ran down a long list of every condiment and side dish they had for breakfast, from marmalade to pancakes.

As the chuckles and jabs moved around the table, I endeavored to live down the shame of not sticking strictly to my 1 rule, but as I keep pointing out in this diet blog, we are working with habits.
2 eggs over easy” is a phrase I've repeated to countless waitresses over the past 50 years or so. It really didn't have as much to do with food, as the habit of a repeated phrase.

Also in the mix was the secondary thought cost. Several years ago, in an aborted stab at my Diet 1, I ordered 1 egg, 1 sausage, and 1 piece of toast.
I and the rest of my party were shocked when the check came, and my plate of 1's cost more than double everyone else's double amount of food. This is because normally things like 2 eggs, home fries and toast are the daily special, but my list of single items were “Ala Cart”, like ordering that 1 extra item at a meal.

More about friends and food tomorrow.


1 bite at a time, and 1 day at a time!


KRASH
PlaceMarkBooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment